? ??????????????Ed Hardy? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.3 (18 Ratings)??31 Grabs Today. 5295 Total Grabs. ??????Pr
eview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ?????????????????????????????????We could Be Dreaming? ????? ?? ???Rating: 5.0 (3 Ratings)??30 Grabs Today. 4300 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get th BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Please Stop Made Me Cry


Every weekend I will be going back to my hometown (im from Seremban mah). And every weekend my mom sure will cook some delicious dinner for me (according to her, since I have been staying outside and no one taking care of me so when I going back home, she will cook some nice dinner for me. hahaha ) Last week, when I reach home, my mom was busy preparing the ingredients for dinner purpose. In order to prove that I am not that kind of person which is just sit at the dinner table and wait for the food come, so I volunteer myself to become the ‘chef’ helper (actually I dunnoe how to cook :S but at least I can help my mom wash the plates and do some easy stuff :)) I look at the onion which its skin is not peeling off, so I tell my mom that I will peel the onion skin off. At 1st, my mom stops me for doing this because she said I will be regret for taking this job. But I just wonder why my mom said so. I look at those cute, little red onion, I don’t think they can hurt me anyway so I still stand for the decision that I had made. When I want start my task which is peeling the onion skin off, my brother came out from his room. He looked at me with his evil smile on his face. But I ignore him although I start having a feeling that I had done the wrong decision. So I start my job. At the beginning, everything run smoothly and ‘peacefully’ but when the time passed by I felt that my tears start flowing out without any reason, later on my tears flowing out non-stop just like heavily rain, I can’t control my tears and it was so suffering. When my devil brother looked at me, he started laugh out loud and my mom quickly stop me for continuing pealing the onion skin, ask me wash my hand and eyes. My mom told me that it is ‘normal’ reaction when pealing the onion skin off. At the same time, my brother was ‘finish’ laughing at me; he went through the internet and found the information to show me why that reaction could happen. (Thank for my bro because giving me such an useful info although he laugh at me just now :))



Onion is one of the members in Allium vegetables’ family. They contain volatile oils that help to give Allium vegetables their distinctive flavours and made them yummier. This volatile oil contains a class of organic molecules known as amino acid sulfoxides. When we peel, cut or crush an onion's cell, it will start release the enzymes known as allinases, which convert these molecules into sulfenic acids. The sulfenic acids is an unstable structure, it will spontaneously rearrange into thiosulfinates, which produce a pungent odor and at the same time got the blame for our tears. The acids are also converted by the LF-synthase enzyme into a gas called syn-propanethial-S-oxide, also known as the Lachrymatory (crying) Factor. Syn-propanethial-S-oxide is a chemical which can triggers the tears. It only takes about 30 seconds to start crying after you make the first cut, that’s the time needed for syn-propanethial-S-oxide formation to peak.

the 3D structure of syn-propanethial-S-oxide

the structure of allinases


the structure of sulfenic acids
(the unstable structure of sulfenic acids)



How sulfenic acid rearrange into thiosulfinates


Here is the process on how the eyes trigger tears when cutting an onion. The front surface of the eye which is the cornea will serve several purposes; the main purpose is to provide the protection against physical and chemical irritants. The cornea is densely populated with sensory fibers of the ciliary nerve, a branch of the massive trigeminal nerve that sense touch, temperature and pain from the face and front of the head. The cornea also receives a smaller number of autonomic motor fibers that activate the lachrymal (tear) glands. The free nerve endings detect the syn-propanethial-S-oxide on the cornea and drive activity in the ciliary nerve, which the central nervous system will interprets as a burning sensation--in proportion to the compound's concentration. Now the brain will say "more water to protect the eyes from irritants". This nerve activity reflexively activates the autonomic fibers, which then carry a signal back to the eye ordering the lachrymal glands to wash the irritant away. That’s the reason why we cry when cutting or peeling the skin of the onion





Do you know that eating onion can ensure healthy life ???

When we searching for the reason (searching and searching) we also found out that actually eating onion can bring a lot of benefit. Onions contained the chemicals which act as the effective agents against fungal and bacterial growth; they protect against stomach, colon and skin cancers; they have anti-inflammatory, antiallergenic, antiasthmatic and antidiabetic actions; and they treat causes of cardiovascular disorders, including hypertension, hyperglycemia and hyperlipidemia while also inhibiting platelet aggregation.

The price of this goodness is tears.



Follow this few steps can made your life easier:

Step 1
First peel your onion and wash it under cold water. This is to take some of the acids off.

Step 2
Now, turn on the exhaust fan and cut into the onion once, chopping it in half. Then wash your knife to get the outer layer's acids off of it.

Step 3
Since the onion releases a gas which stings your eyes when you cut from the outside in, turn it over so the inside faces you.

Step 4
Wash it with cold water again, and cut the onion with the inside still facing you. This will minimize the chances of the enzymes on the outer layer of the onion entering and mixing in with the inner meat's enzymes.
Thus, you won't have the gas, thus you will not cry.


OR

You could also go through your days wearing goggles, to ward off any onion-gases that might be coming from 100-yards away!

haha :P -------->


From now on, when we cutting the onion, there will be no more tears and what we have is only smile. Therefore, when you are cutting the onion, said cheese :D



Stop Crying & Start Smiling... Cheers

0 comments: